New Support for Egyptian Social Enterprises Launches in Cairo
- Social Enterprise Academy Egypt launched today at an event at The American University in Cairo
- This is the first Social Enterprise Academy hub in the MENA region, operated locally by eSeven for Educational Services LLC
- SEA Egypt will provide accredited learning and development support for people and organisations working for social change across Egypt
Launch powered by: The Center of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the American University in Cairo’s (AUC) School of Business.
Launch and outreach partners; Ashoka, ElRehla - The Journey, Ahead of the Curve, GetSircles, AUC Student Organizations Entrepreneurs’ Society and Business Association.
This week (7 February 2020) Social Enterprise Academy Egypt launched at the American University in Cairo (AUC), New Cairo.
This is the first Social Enterprise Academy (SEA) hub in the MENA region and is operated locally by eSeven for Educational Services LLC. SEA Egypt will provide valuable accredited learning and development support for people and organisations working for social change across the country.
The Social Enterprise Academy started in Scotland in 2004 and began replicating internationally in 2016, working with partners around the world to support social enterprise development in their communities.
It now has an international network of 14 hub teams across Europe, Africa, Asia, North America and Australia, and has supported over 18,000 adult learners to create sustainable businesses and have greater social impact.
Managing Director of Social Enterprise Academy Egypt, Aisha Khairat, said:
“The Academy’s launch in Egypt has been a long anticipated one. Research conducted by eSeven suggests the need for an educational arm to support the growing [social] entrepreneurship ecosystem in Egypt across its 27 governorates. SEA Egypt works with local partners to reach out to various learner profiles and carefully customizes its programmes to deliver contextualized transformational experiences.”
CEO of Social Enterprise Academy Egypt, Heba Fadeel, said:
“When we came across Social Enterprise Academy’s vision and programmes, we felt that we speak the same language, their motto “Learning to Change the World” resonated with our beliefs and values. We wanted to be part of this international network as a step towards our vision of empowering our community. And that is the main reason why we chose to join the Social Enterprise Academy’s international network.”
Head of International at the Social Enterprise Academy, Nazia Ali, said:
“We’re thrilled to be partnering with eSeven, a dynamic and insightful organisation that is working hard to serve Egyptian change makers, to bring the Social Enterprise Academy to Egypt. If we are to meet the complex social and environmental challenges facing the world today, investment in the people leading change is essential.”
The launch event included a session on trends and challenges in the social enterprise ecosystem by Ahead of the Curve, a networking event by ElRehla, and success stories in social enterprise with Ashoka Fellows;
- Mr Sameh Ghali, Community Engagement/Social Expert, The Project Sustainable Rural Sanitation Services Program (SRSSP)
- Dr Raghda El Ebrashi, Founder and Chairperson of Alashanek ya Balady Association for sustainable development
Key note speakers at the launch event included;
- Dr Mohamed El Shinnawi - Advisor to the Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research
- Dr Samer Atallah – Associate Dean of AUC School of Business
- Dr Iman Bibars - VP Ashoka Global & Regional Director Ashoka Arab World
- Ms. Nazia Ali - Head of International, Social Enterprise Academy International
To find out how you can support people and organisations working for social change across Egypt, please visit: www.socialenterprise.academy/egypt